Happy (Early) Mother’s Day!
Honestly, there’s so much happening right now that I am so glad I have my mother with me. She’s the most amazing homeschool mom that I know of, and when I grow up, I want to be just like her. (I could write a whole another blog post on this topic.)
Anyhow. Today, I will introduce you to a small aspect of my current WIP, Woodstone Abbey! I’m so excited! *squeals an A#6*
This was my project for Camp NaNoWriMo, where I wrote the first 50K. But I only got to the end of the introduction, so I’m thinking either I have to make it into a duology or a crazily thick tome. (Currently, I like a tome better. Who wouldn’t like YA fantasy tome?)
Okay, so the thing about the Doms are that they’re a type of dormitory at Woodstone Abbey, which is like a magical school. For those of you who do not know, I usually sort my characters using the MBTI and the Hogwarts housing systemTM. When I was just beginning Woodstone Abbey, I knew that it was going to be a classical artsy-magical school. (The entire magic system is based off the 7 liberal arts.) But I didn’t want to give it a housing system because I thought that would be too similar to Hogwarts. (Plus, the location is in England.)
I realised that it would be fun to have my own system for sorting out people, but not entirely like the Hogwarts houses. And a good idea is a good idea no matter.
So here is my take on the houses…
- Each Dom is like its own country. Hence, you must follow their law when entering their properties.
- To live at a Dom, you must meet the criteria set by that Dom.
- Each Dom has its own currency that can be used across the Abbey.
- A member of a Dom must always wear its signet and tie their scarves accordingly.
- Each Dom has its own governance. All the Doms’ heads come together to form the Abbey council.
- Sometimes, a Dom may declare war on another Dom. A member in that Dom must observe the Code of War set by the Abbey.
- You may transfer from another Dom to the other if you do not fit in. You do this by first retrieving the Exchange item they gave to that Dom when they joined. (The Shoe Oath.)
Known for/Motto: The Beautiful (or, the Lovestruck)…“Beauty is Strength”
Loc: In the South wing near the Greenhouse; entrance via Hessy House
Currency: 1M=one mary
Signet/Scarf fashion: Earrings/Parisian tie
Tradition & Dish: Spring Fashion & Arts Gallery & Potato-rosemary chiffon cake
To Join: You must love beauty and art; showcase both upon entrance in the mirror at Hessy House
Known for/Motto: The Chivalrous (or, the Brave!)…”Chivalry forever!”
Loc: In the towers of East wing; the only entrance via the tower windows
Currency: 1L=one lion
Signet/Scarf fashion: Badge/Once-around
Tradition & Dish: May Talent Show & Potato Beer
To Join: You must display bravery; the test is to entre the Dandelion dom via the only entrance up the stairs of east wing towers, and out on the roof of the tower, into the window.
Known for/Motto: The Wise (or, the Smart!)…”Lovers of wisdom and intelligence”
Loc: In the wall apartment complex around the Abbey + the North Wing towers; entrance unknown
Currency: 1S=one sage
Signet/Scarf fashion: Watch (pocket or bracelet)/ Graduate or Drape
Tradition & Dish: The Sagest (A competition of wit & genius) & Potato Pot Pie
To Join: One must display great wisdom and intellect by:
- Find the Sage Dom entrance
- Answer the Riddle at the entrance (changes every time)
- Offer a riddle about oneself to the President and Prime Minister
Known for/Motto: The Gentle (or, the Mysterious!)…”Lasting Inheritance”
Loc: In the West wing library attics; entrance via the swing elevator
Currency: 1D=one der
Signet/Scarf fashion: Necklace/ Artist or reverse drape
Tradition & Dish: Firefly tea with storytelling contest & Potato Cream CandyTo Join: There is no requirement but to read a certain book
So that’s the basic gist of Doms. Thanks for reading thus far!
How did you find the Woodstone Abbey Doms? Do you have one in favourite? How do you think it compares to Hogwarts? Let me know in the comments below!